Saturday, March 16, 2024

A Great Time with the Screenwriter Who Helped Launch Godzilla's Millennium Series!

Hiroshi Kashiwabara. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After meeting Kazuomi Sasai on Friday, March 15, I immediately met up with screenwriter Hiroshi Kashiwabara. I was pleased to have the opportunity to sit down and chat with Kashiwabara-san, as it had been far too long since we last had such a chance.

I was bowled over when Kashiwabara-san brought out his "going away" present for me -- the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) script that producer Shogo Tomiyama gave him in order to prepare for writing the screenplay for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994). It is certainly a privilege to own this bit of Toho history!

Hiroshi Kashiwabara with his copy of the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993) script. Photo by Brett Homenick.

We discussed several topics -- everything from Godzilla Minus One (2023) to the state of American politics. But the conversation mostly centered around movies.

Kashiwabara-san named his three favorite actors in order for me, which was the first time I'd heard his list. They are: 1. John Wayne, 2. Steve McQueen, and 3. Burt Reynolds. I never realized that Kashiwabara-san was a big Burt Reynolds fan, but there you go.

Hiroshi Kashiwabara signs the script. Photo by Brett Homenick.

He told me his favorite Reynolds movies were The Longest Yard (1974) and Hustle (1975). I wasn't aware of Hustle and thought he might have meant Boogie Nights (1997). He said he likes that one, too, but that Hustle was a separate film. I had to look it up!

Kashiwabara-san didn't know the English title Deliverance (1972), so, when I showed him the Japanese translation, he shared his admiration for that film, too. That one is probably my favorite Burt Reynolds film.


When we were wrapping up, Kashiwabara-san took a photo of me on his phone with the MG script, as well as a photo of the two of us together. Remember what I said about when VIPs want photos with you?

And, after all that, Kashiwabara-san also signed some SpaceGodzilla memorabilia for me. What a cool guy!

Photo by Hiroshi Kashiwabara.

As we were leaving, much like Asada-san before him, asked me if I knew who Troy Donahue was. Of course, I now know all about his song about Palm Springs!

Many thanks to Kashiwabara-san for his unparalleled generosity. I'm so proud to have that script!

No comments:

Post a Comment