Friday, March 22, 2024

Getting the Party Started with Takahashi-san as Our Host!

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today (Friday, March 22) was also notable as the day that actress Yoko Takahashi hosted a party for me as I prepare to leave Japan. Takahashi-san was a prolific actress in the 1970s, with her best-known work in the West being the Oscar-nominated Sandakan 8 (1974). She also can be seen in Kon Ichikawa's The Devil's Ballad (1977).

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I first met Takahashi-san in 2016, as her starring role in Sandakan 8 was intriguing to me. Not only was it an Oscar-nominated film, but it was also named by film critic Gene Siskel as the third-best film of 1976 and boasts a score by the great Akira Ifukube. In fact, I saw a photo from this film in a fanzine article about the composer when I was 14 years old, and, while Takahashi-san herself wasn't seen in that photo, it nonetheless fascinated me at a young age.


I arrived at the cafe just after 3:00, but it turned out that Takahashi-san was stuck in traffic and apparently a bit lost. (She had never been to this venue before, and it's some distance outside Tokyo.) Thankfully, the cafe owner happened to be our mutual friend, so he painstakingly guided her over the phone with all the necessary directions. Takahashi-san ultimately arrived at about 5:00, at which point the party could truly start!

Takahashi-san's lemon cake. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Takahashi-san brought a delicious lemon cake to celebrate, which we shared between the three of us. She also bought me a coin purse as a gift, which was an unexpected surprise. But, most importantly, she gave me a handwritten note in English that expressed her sincere feelings. Now that is a treasure I will always keep with me!

Make a wish!

I believe the party lasted until about 8:00. It was a lot of fun, so the time just flew by. We discussed many topics, including Takahashi-san's favorite films from America. (She has an encyclopedic knowledge of American films from the 1970s and told me about movies I'd never heard of, such as 1973's Cinderella Liberty, starring James Caan.) I told Takahashi-san about Gene Siskel and how he named Sandakan 8 the third-best movie of the year. She was especially impressed to see that Siskel ranked it above Taxi Driver (1976).


While she isn't exactly an expert on kaiju movies (and hasn't seen Godzilla Minus One), she knows enough about the genre to be able to sing a few bars of The Peanuts' Mothra song. I was pleased to have Takahashi-san sign my DVDs of Sandakan 8 and Africa's Light (1975), which I happened to find at a Book Off just prior to coming.

When it was time to leave, Takahashi-san kindly drove me home in her car. It's been a while since I've been driven home by a Japanese movie star, but it's always a lot of fun when it happens! At one point, when we came to a sign pointing the way to Nagoya, I blurted out that we should go there instead, which seemed to amuse Takahashi-san. 

Takahashi-san seemed quite motivated to visit California in the future, and I hope I can meet her there. Otherwise, I hope we can meet again in Japan someday. Even though tonight was a low-key affair, it was a great way to relieve some of the stress of the past couple of days. Many thanks to Takahashi-san for hosting this party -- it's one for the history books!

No comments:

Post a Comment