Wednesday, March 6, 2024

A Special Lunch with a Special Japanese Actress!

Hidemi Aoki. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today (Wednesday, March 6), I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon in the company of actress Hidemi Aoki, a couple of her friends, and two of her fans. 

For those of you not in the know, Hidemi Aoki plays Sumi in Seven Nights in Japan (1976), co-starring Michael York and Charles Gray (directed by Lewis Gilbert of You Only Live Twice fame). She also portrays Kyoko Osawayama in episodes 2-7, 9, 11-13 of Toho's Diamond Eye (1973-74) TV series. 


I contacted Aoki-san a few weeks ago regarding my plans for later this month. Shortly thereafter, she wrote me back, suggesting we meet up on this day. I readily accepted but didn't have much of an idea of what would go on.

Photo by Yoshii-san.

Well, I found out today. One of her fans met me at Senzoku-ike Station, and we made our way over to Aoi Coffee, which (as the name would suggest) is a coffee shop. Aoki-san had texted me prior to the event that a light lunch would be provided, but what was available was anything but light!

Hidemi Aoki shows me something on her smartphone. Photo by Yoshii-san.

I was amazed at the variety of food on offer. Not only was there pizza, but a variety of sandwiches, onigiri, and other comestibles that I'm sure I'm forgetting. I also had green tea to drink, which was a bit of a switch for me.

From left to right: Noriko, yours truly, Hidemi Aoki, and Mami. Photo courtesy of Mami-san.

Some of the attendees were curious as to how I knew about Aoki-san and why I was interested in her. Naturally, I mentioned her role on Diamond Eye, which is related to my broader interest in tokusatsu. This led me to do something I'd never actually done before -- ask Aoki-san about her memories of shooting this Toho tokusatsu TV series. She then admitted that she remembered nothing about making it! Oh, well -- would have been nice to hear a story or two.

Hidemi Aoki (Miss Japan) is second from the right in this photo, which she showed me on her smartphone.

But she did show me several photos from her smartphone, including one taken during the first Miss Young International beauty pageant in which she represented Japan in March 1970. (She came in second behind Miss Iceland.)


As I mentioned a bit earlier, we were joined by two of Aoki-san's friends, who had previous experience as actresses and performers. One of her friends, Mami, appeared in a very small role in the TV show Ninja Hattori-kun (1966-68). It wasn't a speaking part, and she was likely an extra, but it's interesting to note. Actually, Mami was a member of Toei Children's Theater Training Institute's 7th class. (This organization has since become Toei Academy.) Later on, she lived in Los Angeles for about 20 years, and it was great talking with her about a variety of topics.

Noriko, another friend of Aoki-san's, asked me what other tokusatsu series I enjoyed. After I rattled off a few of the Ultra-series, she asked me if I had seen Ultra Q (1966), which naturally I had. I also mentioned Zone Fighter (1973) and remarked that it was made around the same time at Toho as Diamond Eye. This prompted Aoki-san to look up the series on her smartphone, but, when she saw the cast list, she wasn't familiar with any of the actors. 

With Mami-san. Photo by Yoshii-san.

I should mention that the seats in this cafe were more like stools, but their design made them a bit wobbly and unstable. So, if you suddenly shifted your weight, you could topple over before you even realized it. This nearly happened to me shortly after I sat down. It also nearly happened to Aoki-san, too. While she was chatting, she somewhat lost her balance, but thankfully Mami-san and I grabbed her in the nick of time. 

The lunch, which I expected to last not much more than an hour, ultimately lasted about four hours. Our group went to the station together, and, when it was time to leave, she high-fived me. What a nice touch! Then she stayed at the ticket gate and waved until I was ought of sight. 

This afternoon easily surpassed my expectations! I must thank Aoki-san for her unparalleled hospitality. It was another one for the history books!

No comments:

Post a Comment