Thursday, August 18, 2022

Attending a Memorial Celebration of the Life and Career of Shinichi 'Sonny' Chiba

The floral arrangement at Sonny Chiba's memorial event on August 17. Photo by Brett Homenick.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an invitation to attend a memorial celebration of the life and career of the late action star Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba, who passed away last year. A few months ago, a similar event was announced but postponed to due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It was finally held on Wednesday, August 17, at the RIHGA Royal Hotel Tokyo.


The first gathering (held at 1:00 p.m.) was only for Chiba-san's friends and family. The second gathering was held at 3:00 p.m. and was reserved for Japan Action Club (a.k.a. Japan Action Enterprise) alumni and related parties. The 5:00 gathering was for general folks, like myself. 


After registering, I was given a flower by a staff member to lay in front of the floral arrangement. As I entered the room, the ending theme to Message from Space (1978) was playing, which I thought was an appropriate selection. After that, a variety of Japanese and Western pop songs played throughout the event. 


There were posters from Chiba-san's movies on display, as well as some photographs from his personal collection. (No photos were allowed there). 


At one point, I saw Chiba-san's daughter, Juri Manase, but it was a fleeting glimpse, and I didn't see her again. It was probably just as well, as I'm sure she had a lot on her mind. 


I'm glad I had an opportunity to celebrate Chiba-san's life and career in such a classy way. He was always a true gentleman when I was privileged to be in his company.

I couldn't think of a more appropriate way to celebrate the life and career of Sonny Chiba. I hope these photos convey even a fraction of how well organized the event was.

Rest in peace, Chiba-san.

No comments:

Post a Comment