Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Shinji Nishikawa and Yuji Kaida's Kaiju Art Invade Shibuya Parco!

The Shinji Nishikawa and Yuji Kaida art gallery in Shibuya. Photo by Brett Homenick.

For a very limited time at Shibuya Parco, there was a gallery dedicated to the art of Shinji Nishikawa and Yuji Kaida, two veterans of the tokusatsu world. The art on display focused mainly on Shin Ultraman and SSSS.Dynazenon, and none of it featured Godzilla.

Yuji Kaida's rendition of Eleking. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I had a bit of time to visit earlier today, which was pretty good timing, given that it was the last day the gallery would be open. It was held in the same spot in Shibuya Parco that the Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) Hedorah suit was on display last year. When I entered, I was given a pack with four coasters. Not sure which characters are featured on them yet since I haven't opened it, but I hope the coasters come in handy one day. 

Shinji Nishikawa brings the kaiju to life! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photography was not allowed in the gallery, except for the above drawings, one done by each artist. It was a fun exhibit, but I was done pretty quickly. I'll admit that I thought the Hedorah exhibit last year was a lot more interesting, but I'm grateful for any kaiju-related events that come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment