Sunday, July 24, 2022

Revisiting 'Orochi the Eight-Headed Dragon' at a Special Screening!

Director Takao Okawara (left) and special effects director Kenji Suzuki pose with a mask from Orochi the Eight-Headed Dragon (1994). Photo by Brett Homenick.

Earlier today, I had the privilege of checking out Orochi the Eight-Headed Dragon (a.k.a. Yamato Takeru, 1994) in 35mm. I believe I'd only seen this film twice before -- and one of those times I fell asleep!

The first time was in mid-2000, just after it was released on VHS. Because I was attending college classes very early in the morning during that time, I remember dozing off toward the end. The second time was in late 2005 on DVD. That time, I was wide awake!

Yoshiaki Kondo. Photo by Brett Homenick.

So it'd been a long time since I'd last seen it, and there was a lot I'd forgotten about it. Overall, it's a mixed bag. Some parts are done very well, but it does start to drag toward the end, and I don't think Koichi Kawakita's mid-'90s-Godzilla-series style of special effects was a good match for a fantasy about ancient Japan. But I'm glad I saw it again, especially in 35mm. 

From left to right: Takao Okawara, Yoshiaki Kondo, and Kenji Suzuki. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I was surprised to that a mask from the film was brought to the event, which in a way made it a mini Tokusatsu DNA exhibit! Another surprise was the presence of Yoshiaki Kondo. Kondo-san worked as an assistant director on Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991), Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993), Orochi the Eight-Headed DragonGodzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994), Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), Rebirth of Mothra (1996), and Godzilla 2000 (1999).

Takao Okawara. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Takao Okawara was the headlining guest. Okawara-san began his career as an assistant director on Submersion of Japan (1973), Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha (1980), and Godzilla 1985 (1984). After becoming a director at Toho, Okawara-san helmed the SFX productions of Godzilla vs. MothraGodzilla vs. Mechagodzilla IIGodzilla vs. Destoroyah, and Godzilla 2000.

I brought my original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II poster for both Okawara-san and Kenji Suzuki (the chief assistant SFX director of the film) to sign. It was great to see Okawara-san in such a good mood, often laughing at the funny stories Kondo-san told -- and even telling a few himself! During the evening, I asked Okawara-san if he remembered the CNN story for which he was interviewed about Godzilla's demise in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. I was very surprised when he told me he had no memory of it. So I pulled out my smartphone, found the story on YouTube, and showed it to him. He found it interesting but still had no memory of it. Perhaps the interview clips were supplied by Toho and weren't actually shot by a CNN crew, which would explain why he doesn't remember. In any case, I thought that was noteworthy.

Kenji Suzuki. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The other headlining guest was Orochi's chief assistant SFX director Kenji Suzuki. Before joining Toho, Suzuki-san was a freelance SFX director who did some work at Tsuburaya Productions, most notably Ultraman 80 (1980-81). At Toho, he served as an assistant SFX director on The Imperial Navy (1981) and Sayonara Jupiter (1984). On Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991), Godzilla vs. MothraGodzilla vs. Mechagodzilla IIGodzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994), Godzilla vs. DestoroyahRebirth of Mothra (1996), and Rebirth of Mothra 2 (1997), he served as the chief assistant SFX director under Koichi Kawakita. On Rebirth of Mothra 3 (1998), Godzilla 2000, and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000), he was the SFX director. In the 2000s, Suzuki-san returned to Tsuburaya Productions and lent his talents to various Ultra-projects.

Whew, what a busy weekend it was! Suffice it to say, there was no time to stop and smell the roses. But it was a lot of fun, and I wouldn't have it any other way. More fun's yet to come. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment