Saturday, July 30, 2022

A GODZILLA ALL-NIGHTER! Spending an Evening Watching Four Great Godzilla Classics on the Big Screen!

The incredible film lineup at the Shin Bungeiza theater. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday night, July 30, I returned to Ikebukuro's Shin Bungeiza movie theater for a Godzilla all-nighter that would start at 10:30 p.m. and wrap at 5:30 a.m. (Eek!) These all-nighters really aren't my thing (I value sleep way too much), but, when I saw the lineup -- Godzilla 1985 (1984). King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962), Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973), and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) -- all four were films that I really wanted to see on the big screen. So it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Three of the four flicks were presented in 35mm. King Kong vs. Godzilla was the recent 4K remaster that has earned rave reviews from those who have seen it. As nice as it is to see the KKvsG remaster on a TV set, nothing beats seeing it on a massive theater screen. This was my second time seeing it presented this way.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

The Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla prints had their share of imperfections but otherwise looked excellent. The Megalon print was essentially flawless. And the King Kong vs. Godzilla remaster was as clear as a bell.

Even though I've seen all these films more times than I possibly could remember, I still noticed a few interesting details this time around. In Godzilla 1985, the Toho logo can be seen on the Yurakucho Mullion building as Godzilla crashes into it. (I guess that makes Godzilla's attack on the building a bit meta.) The Toho logo can be seen on the real-life building for those not in the know. Also, when Godzilla is approaching the bullet train tracks in the same scene, there's a sign for "Delish Curry." I found that kind of amusing. 

Photo by Brett Homenick.

In Godzilla vs. Megalon, there's what seems to be a waste basket with Mickey Mouse and Goofy on it. Most notably, however, the aliens in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla wear belts with ape faces as belt buckles. (I really can't believe I'd never noticed that before, but that's just one of the benefits of seeing these movies the way they were meant to be seen.)

Naturally, I stayed awake throughout the whole program, but I was completely exhausted by the end. All four of these Godzilla movies are personal favorites of mine, though, so there was no missing this all-nighter. Next time, I just hope they do it during the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment