Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Former Godzilla Series SFX Director Teruyoshi Nakano Passes Away at Age 86

Teruyoshi Nakano in August 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The Japanese news media are reporting that longtime Toho special effects director Teruyoshi Nakano passed away on June 27 of sepsis. He was 86.

Teruyoshi Nakano with director Kazuki Omori in October 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Born in what is now Dandong, China, on October 9, 1935, Mr. Nakano repatriated to Japan shortly after the war and attended Nihon University College of Art's film department. He later joined Toho in 1959, intending to become a film director. However, he was moved over to the tokusatsu side of filmmaking and quickly moved up the ranks, becoming chief assistant director under Eiji Tsuburaya by 1963.

SFX directors Teruyoshi Nakano and Eiichi Asada team up to sing "Godzilla and Jet Jaguar: Punch! Punch! Punch!" from Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) in October 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

In 1969, Mr. Nakano would serve as special effects director on his first film, The Crazy Cats’ Big Explosion. Mr. Nakano would direct the special effects on every Godzilla film between Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (1971) and Godzilla 1985 (1984). He earned critical acclaim for his special effects work in Submersion of Japan (1973).

Teruyoshi Nakano poses with the posters of two of his most famous works in April 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I really can't find the words to express what a devastating loss this is. It might even be possible to say I've visited him in the last 10 years more than any other Toho figure. He was always very approachable and friendly at any gathering he attended.

Teruyoshi Nakano strikes a familiar pose in June 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

While he started using a cane in recent years, he still seemed completely healthy, especially for a gentleman his age. That all seemed to change this year. Earlier this year, one of my Japanese friends showed me a photo taken of Mr. Nakano in his hospital bed.

Two heroes for the price of one: Teruyoshi Nakano in August 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Apparently, he had just spent about a month there but had recently been discharged. Despite the shocking photo, I was assured that he was doing much better, so there was no need to worry. But I did.

Teruyoshi Nakano poses for a photo at a memorial event for Koichi Kawakita at Toho Studios in February 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I wanted to believe it, but I couldn't. And now I know there was good reason not to believe it. I'll really miss Mr. Nakano's presence at future events. I tried my best to interview him in recent years, but he told me that he wanted to wait until after COVID to do it.

Teruyoshi Nakano plays around with his old colleague Zone Fighter in September 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

While I had the privilege of interviewing him twice in 2004 (which, strangely, I believe turned out to be his final appearance in the U.S.), I felt those interviews never did Mr. Nakano justice and wanted to do something much more in-depth. I wish it could have worked out.

Teruyoshi Nakano, Takashi Naganuma, and director Kensho Yamashita pose with a poster for Battle of Okinawa (1971) in July 2016. Photo by Brett Homenick.

There's so much to say, but I'll end with this. A few years ago, as Nakano-san and I were posing for a photo, we shook hands, and he said (in English), "Family." That's certainly how I felt.

Rest in peace, Mr. Nakano. Thank you so much for your work, your time, and your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment