Friday, July 29, 2022

Seeing a Double Feature of 'Frankenstein Conquers the World' and 'The Mysterians'!

The National Film Archive of Japan. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Friday, July 29, I had the privilege of viewing two Showa-era Toho classics in glorious 35mm at the National Film Archive of Japan: Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965) and The Mysterians (1957). It was part of the Archive's program entitled "The 90th Anniversary of Toho: A Film History of Modernization and Innovation," with a bevy of Toho screenings on offer all month. The only downside is that this was the only day I could attend. But what a day it was!

The poster for The Mysterians. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Frankenstein Conquers the World was screened first, and it looked better than ever in 35mm. I was surprised to see the alternate giant octopus ending used in this film print. There was no change in quality at all when the giant octopus appears, so, if you didn't know any better, you'd think that was simply the way the movie had always ended.

The poster for Las Vegas Free-for-All (1967). Photo by Brett Homenick.

The use of the alternate ending wasn't promoted in the brochure, so it makes me wonder why it was used. After the screening, I overheard one of the audience members (who was wearing an A Clockwork Orange T-shirt) on the phone to his friend (I guess), telling him that the giant octopus version was used and that it was his first time to see it. I hope it didn't make him spit out his Moloko Plus. 

The poster for Submersion of Japan (1973). Photo by Brett Homenick.

The Mysterians was shown next, and this was the big one for me. Seeing The Mysterians in 35mm was a bucket list item for me, and now I can happily scratch it off my list. It certainly didn't disappoint. This is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm so glad I finally got to see it the way it deserves to be seen. 

The poster for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991). Photo by Brett Homenick.

But that's not all! I have more movie-viewing happening tomorrow ... and the day after that. Well, sort of. You'll see what I mean. Stick around and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment