Sunday, November 5, 2023

Seeing 'Branded to Kill' in 4K in Ikebukuro!

Branded to Kill (1967) at the Shin Bungeiza. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Sunday, November 5, my friend Jacob and I attended a screening of Nikkatsu's Branded to Kill (1967), Seijun Suzuki's stylish crime thriller at Ikebukuro's Shin Bungeiza theater. The film was represented in a 4K remaster that looked absolutely perfect on the big screen. 

Branded to Kill at the Shin Bungeiza. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I first saw the movie circa 2013 on DVD. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the movie at the time. I could recognize the talent and hard work that went into it, but I felt the story itself was rather boring. The story simply couldn't hook me. 

Actress Anne Mari. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Unfortunately, I had the same reaction this time. The visuals were excellent, but the story was lacking. It just never grabbed me, and by the end I was getting a bit bored. I wish I could love it like most other film fans do, but I don't. I find it a rather tiresome exercise in style over substance.

Actress Anne Mari. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The highlight, however, was the Q&A with actress Anne Mari after the screening. She couldn't always answer the interview's questions -- admitting multiple times that she just couldn't remember what happened in those particular instances -- but she was in great spirits and was a joy to see. When the audience was taking photos, my friend Jacob waved to her, which caused her to notice us. She asked us from the stage if we could understand Japanese, to which I gave her a thumbs up or an OK gesture (can't remember which) to tell her we were fine. 

I'd met Anne Mari at two previous events, so this was my first time to see her in person since late 2017. I wish I could have had the chance to speak with her personally, but you can't win them all. It was lovely just to see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment