Sunday, August 6, 2023

Two Tokusatsu Heroines Join Forces to Save the World!

Sayoko Hagiwara (second from the left) and Michiko Makino (second from the right) pose with the cast and crew of 7 Ways (2023). Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tonight (Sunday, August 6), I joined an event headlined by two tokusatsu heroines: Sayoko Hagiwara and Michiko Makino. They were promoting their new film 7 Ways (2023), which I didn't manage to catch, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend an evening with them.


It was actually the first time I met Makino-san. She plays Hikaru Katsuragi (Pink Five) in Choudenshi Bioman (1984-85), one of the most popular Super Sentai series internationally. Interestingly, it was my first time to meet her. I started to think I'd never end up meeting her, as our paths never seemed to cross. 

Of course, Hagiwara-san played Yullian in Ultraman 80 (1980-81) and Dyna Pink in Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (1983-84). She also later appears in Choushinsei Flashman (1986-87) as the villainous Leh Nafel. I've blogged about Hagiwara-san many times in the past, but I hadn't seen her in three and a half years -- way too long! That's what happens when a pandemic gets in your way.

Michiko Makino. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I was privileged to sit across from Makino-san for about half the evening. She talked about going to various events around the world, including France and the Philippines, as well as some of the stunts on the set of Bioman. She also described working with Tadao Nakamaru on Bioman, calling him a frank individual. 

But we also discussed more personal topics. At one point, she asked how old I was, but guessed my age at about six years younger than my actual one. When I told her how old I really was, she was surprised and commented that I look younger. Hey, I'll take it!

Due to the evening's seating arrangement, I had much less time to speak with Hagiwara-san, but what little time I had in her company was very enjoyable. When she saw me, Hagiwara-san called me by my full name and mentioned that we last met about three years ago. Suffice it to say, I was flattered she remembered me so well!


Like with Makino-san, we also got into topics on a more personal side. Hagiwara-san asked if I was married, and I told her I'm still single. She asked me more questions from there (even jokingly holding out her fist like a microphone -- now I know how it feels to be interviewed!), which were fun to answer. (It's kind of surreal talking to tokusatsu heroines about your private life!) 

Sayoko Hagiwara. Photo by Brett Homenick.

In my favorite moment of the evening, when Hagiwara-san went to check the time on the clock on the wall, she grabbed my arm and pulled me with her to check the time. I know other events elsewhere in the world make it a rule that you can't touch the guests, but I sure hope Japanese events don't ever ban the guests from touching me!

And there you have it. What a fun evening it was. Between yesterday's event with Bin Furuya, it was a packed weekend in the company of Japanese heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment