Monday, August 7, 2023

Seeing 'The Mysterians' in 4K!

The Mysterians (a.k.a. Chikyu Boeigun) starts at 10:00 a.m. at Toho Cinemas Nihonbashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

This morning (Monday, August 7), I went to Toho Cinemas Nihonbashi to catch a screening of The Mysterians (1957) in 4K. The Mysterians has always been one of my favorite movies, and I had the privilege of catching a rare screening of the film in 35mm last year. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it in 4K.

The ticket to get into the screening. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Before the movie started, the usual batch of trailers played. The one that had the biggest impact, of course, was the teaser for Godzilla: Minus One (2023), which was certainly an added bonus to see on the big screen. 

The Mysterians in 4K. Photo by Brett Homenick.

So how was the picture quality? It was awesome! It looked just about flawless to my eye. I would say it was even better than Rodan's 4K remaster, as well as the 35mm print of The Mysterians I saw last year. The picture never looked clearer to me, and I noticed a few minor details that I missed in all the times I'd seen the film before. 

The screening also had a great turnout, despite being a Monday morning. All in all, I couldn't think of a better way to start my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment