Sunday, February 19, 2023

Winter Warms Up for an Afternoon of Tokusatsu!

Kenji Suzuki. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Earlier today (Sunday, February 19), I had the good fortune to spend a couple of hours with former Toho tokusatsu director Kenji Suzuki. Suzuki-san served in that position on Rebirth of Mothra III (1998), Godzilla 2000 (1999), and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000).

We met at Seijogakuen-mae Station and headed to a nearby cafe. Thankfully, the weather was much warmer than it had been recently, and I didn't even need to wear my winter coat. Once we sat down at the cafe, I got to hear a lot of stories from the sets of various tokusatsu shoots. It was quite enlightening!

My favorite moment, though, was when Suzuki-san was signing a couple of postcards I bought from the Godzilla Store, which were from Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995), on which he served as chief assistant director of special effects. One of the postcards simply says, "Happy Birthday," which Suzuki-san read out loud, causing me to laugh. Maybe you had to be there.

Many thanks to Suzuki-san for the fun afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment