Friday, February 24, 2023

A Brief Detour into the Dark Side of Fandom

I'll keep this as brief as possible because I don't want this individual's name or crimes associated with this blog. Those of you who are dialed into the goings-on of Western Godzilla "fandom" have almost certainly heard the news regarding what became of a certain would-be documentary filmmaker of "independent tokusatsu" who suddenly disappeared without a trace for about four and a half years. Let's just say that he was arrested and convicted of committing some of the worst crimes imaginable.

That's all I want to say about it on this blog, but, if you'd like a bit more information, I'd highly recommend checking out this link. The author of the piece appears to be anonymous (at least that's the way it seems to me after looking around for a bit), but the points he raises and the questions he asks are spot-on. I'm sure some in "fandom" will use the writer's apparent anonymity to dismiss his arguments, but those who are searching for answers and some accountability in this debacle would be wise to consider his thoughts.

I've mostly been absent from Western fandom for years, and the above-linked essay perfectly describes many of the reasons I decided to leave. I haven't looked back since, and based on what I've learned in the last week I got out just in the nick of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment