Saturday, May 14, 2016

Remembering Cliff Harrington with His Friends and Family

Tomoko Harrington in Ebisu, Tokyo. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

A while back, I was contacted by Tomoko Harrington, the widow of actor-writer-photographer Cliff Harrington. She told me that she'd be visiting Tokyo (she lives in Kyushu) and asked if I'd like to meet up. Of course, I said yes, and we set up a time and place.

Tomoko married Cliff in 1988, and they remained married until his passing in 2013. Cliff (among many other accomplishments in his life) was an extra in numerous Japanese films. His most notable role was playing Al, the American helicopter co-pilot, in King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962). He was also an extra in Mothra (1961). But Cliff's movie roles only scratch the surface of his amazing and varied life.


Tomoko and I were joined by a mutual friend named Allan, who knew and worked with Cliff for many years. We had a great evening, sharing stories and memories of Cliff. Although I never had the privilege of meeting him in person, I spent many hours with him on the phone between 2006 and 2013. The only thing that could have made tonight's get together better would have been the presence of Cliff himself.

1 comment:

  1. I worked with Cliff until his retirement at ELEC. Unfortunately I was too selfish and young to realize what a star the guy was in a society, 'where the nail that stands out, is always hammered down'. I loved his stories and remember him with tremendous fondness and giggles. RIP, Cliff.

    ReplyDelete