Monday, December 27, 2021

Christmas Day in Tokyo!

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

This was an unusual Christmas for me, to say the least. I had to work that day (nothing unusual about that for me), but what was unusual was that I got to attend another special event with Yoko Takahashi and Rie Yokoyama.

I've met Takahashi-san several times (this year alone!). She was a prolific actress in the 1970s, with her best-known work in the West being the Oscar-nominated Sandakan 8 (1974). She also can be seen in Kon Ichikawa's The Devil's Ballad (1977).

Rie Yokoyama. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Yokoyama-san appears in Nagisa Oshima's Diary of a Shinjuku Burglar (1969), Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (1972), episode 10 of Horror Theater Unbalance (1973), Zatoichi's Conspiracy (1973), and Kinji Fukasaku's New Battles without Honor and Humanity: Last Days of the Boss (1976).

I especially enjoyed hanging out with Takahashi-san, who is always a blast. She told me about visiting New York several years ago and her interest in music. Even though she must have been exhausted by the end (I know I was!), she never let it show.

It was a fun way to spend Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment