Thursday, June 30, 2016

PAYING A VISIT TO MACHIDA-SAN! Seeing the Gappa Star Perform Live!

Masanori Machida addresses the audience after a successful performance. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today I went to Nakano Ward to take in a live dramatic reading by actor Masanori Machida and other actors. It took place at a small bookstore, and despite the small location, it was packed with people. I was rather surprised by the large turnout!


The main draw for me was seeing Masanori Machida again. On top of being an all-around gentleman, he played the island boy Saki in Gappa the Triphibian Monster (a.k.a. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet, 1967). Gappa was the sole kaiju effort by Nikkastu Studios, and given how enjoyable the film is, it's a shame that the studio didn't try to make more.


When I was buying my ticket, Machida-san came up to me and tapped me on the shoulder and greeted me. It was a complete surprise to me, but what a nice gesture it was. It was great to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment