Sunday, July 26, 2015

RETURN TO KURIHAMA FLOWER WORLD! Revisiting the King of the Monsters!

The King of the Monsters stands tall in Kurihama Flower World! Photo by Brett Homenick.

During my day trip to Yokosuka, I paid a visit to Kurihama Flower World, which many Godzilla fans will recognize as the home to the enormous (nine meters high, 10 meters long) Godzilla slide in the park's Adventure Land section.

Welcome to Kurihama Flower World! Photo by Brett Homenick. 

Given that it had more than three years (hard to believe it's been that long!) since my first trip there, I decided to give it another look. My decision was made much easier by the fact that I had other business in Yokosuka, so the trek to Kurihama would be much shorter than it otherwise would be.

Godzilla stands just a few feet down the road. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Despite the blistering heat, I made the hike up Kurihama Flower World and looked forward to seeing the slide again. One thing I wanted to do this time was actually to go down the slide. During my first visit, a typhoon had just blown through Tokyo, leaving the slide a muddy mess. This time, however, the weather was about as sunny as it could get.

It's Godzilla! Photo by Brett Homenick.

The sun began to set, giving an interesting lighting to the photos I took. It also posed a few problems, as I couldn't really photograph the slide from certain angles. Still, I think the pictures turned out extremely well.

The Godzilla slide, as seen from behind. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After snapping some pictures, I decided to give the slide a try. Unfortunately, I ended up having to force myself down the slide, since nothing happened when I first tried! It turns out that the slide is much better to look at than to use.


After spending a few minutes with the King of the Monsters, it was time to turn around and go home. Considering all the hiking I did in the sweltering summer heat, I feel like I've done enough exercise to last me the rest of the year. So I think I'll take it easy until around New Year's!


It was great to see Godzilla again in all his glory. Perhaps another trip might be in the cards in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment