Wednesday, July 29, 2015

FUJISAN SENGEN SHRINE! A Great Place to Visit at the Foot of Mt. Fuji!

Fujinomiya Sengen Shrine in Fujinomiya, Shizuoka. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today I paid a visit to Fujinomiya, Shizuoka, near the foot of Mt. Fuji. Unfortunately, however, the weather decided not to cooperate with me, and despite my hours (and hours!) of traveling, I couldn't see Mt. Fuji at any time during my journey. Even though I didn't experience any rain today, the sky was completely opaque, thanks to the storm clouds blocking the view. I suppose I should just be thankful that I avoided a major storm!


While in Fujinomiya, I stopped by Fujisan Sengen Shrine (or Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha, as it's known in Japanese). For a bit more about the location, please follow this link.


I had a great time walking around the grounds of the shrine and photographing the area. As you can see from the pictures, it truly is a beautiful location.


Naturally, I am disappointed that the weather prevented Mt. Fuji from appearing in the shots. The shrine (obviously) looks much more impressive when Mt. Fuji is visible in the background. Perhaps I will eventually go back to the area to see the shrine in its full glory (when the weather is more cooperative, of course).


That said, it is very far from Tokyo, as anyone who has actually been to Mt. Fuji knows quite well. My ride to Fujinomiya took about four hours (!) all together, given that I had to wait anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes more than once for my connecting trains to arrive. The return trip was a bit more convenient, but it also exceeded three hours.


I would certainly recommend Fujisan Sengen Shrine to any visitor who is near Fujinomiya City. It is also worth a look for having been a filming location in a classic Godzilla movie, but more on that in the next blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment