Sunday, February 18, 2024

ULTRAMAN FLIES AGAIN! Another Fun Evening with the Superhero from M78!

Bin Furuya. Photo by Brett Homenick.
 
Last night (Saturday, February 17), I attended another event with Ultraman suit actor Bin Furuya. I arrived late due to my work schedule, and by the time I arrived the festivities were already winding down. Luckily, I was able to attend the after-party that started immediately thereafter. 


When Furuya-san arrived at the izakaya for the after-party, he asked me to stand up and proceeded to tell the folks in attendance about my March plans. He also shared a story about going to a restaurant in Chicago with Akira Takarada and me, recalling how much I ate and drank there. Well, it was a fun memory for me, too!


Furuya-san sat with my table two separate times during the evening, during which he was seated directly next to me. We talked about his interest in James Dean, the movie Shane (1953), and Japanese pro wrestler Rikidozan. There was also a fascinating talk about some of his recent signing events. 


Funnily enough, Furuya-san  recalled the time he called me on my cell phone when I happened to be on a date with a girl in December 2021. I guess he thought things were a lot more serious between her and me than they actually were! (But, hey, who could blame him?)


It was also pretty fun to hear Furuya-san use more English words. I'd actually never heard him use so many before. It was quite fascinating to hear due to the fact that it's rather rare in my experience.


Furuya-san was also great about putting his arm around your shoulder or making physical contact in some other way. After all, who wouldn't want to get that kind of affirmation from Ultraman himself?

Suffice it to say, it was another fun evening with the man from M78. Of course, my interest in Furuya-san is as much rooted in his early Toho roles as it is with his more impressive turns at Tsuburaya Productions, but I'll happily take both. Many thanks to Furuya-san for another great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment