Thursday, February 15, 2024

A Visit with the Actor Behind 'Megalon's' Hiroshi Jinkawa!

Yutaka Hayashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Wednesday, February 14, proved to be a Valentine's Day for the history books. I was privileged to spend an evening in the company of former actor Yutaka Hayashi, best known as one of the stars of Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973). I last got to visit Hayashi-san in 2019 when he performed in a concert, so, to say the very least, this visit was long overdue.

When I arrived at the venue, I spoke with Hayashi-san's friend and business colleague Akio-san before I saw Hayashi-san. Sometime after Akio-san stepped away, I noticed that someone entered the area directly behind my seat and was speaking to others. I had a feeling about who that person might be, and, when I turned around, I was greeted by Hayashi-san, who immediately extended his hand to me.


Hayashi-san showed me several photos of his younger days on his smartphone, most of which were from his acting and music careers. He was also curious to know about the origin of my interest in his acting work, so I told him that Megalon was my first Godzilla movie that I saw when I was around five years old. He also talked about his golfing in Palm Springs before, which was quite a surprise to hear about! When he had to go, Hayashi-san extended his hand again before we parted ways.

Sitting next to one of the stars of the first movie I ever really liked in my life will never not be exciting for me. I have to thank Hayashi-san for taking time out of his busy schedule to see me. It was certainly a memorable evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment