Wednesday, July 12, 2023

A DAM BURSTING WITH TOKUSATSU HISTORY! Revisiting Tokyo's Ogouchi Dam!

Welcome to Okutama! But you still have to ride the bus before getting to your destination. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today (Wednesday, July 12), I visited Lake Okutama (a.k.a. Lake Oku-Tama) and the Ogouchi Dam for the first time in almost 10 years. (Yikes! Has it been that long?!) Readers of this blog ought to know that the Ogouchi Dam was prominently featured in Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) and was also seen (in a less spectacular way) in Mothra (1961).

Given the tokusatsu history associated with this location, I've often thought about returning for a visit. But it takes just about two hours to reach Okutama Station from my home -- and that doesn't count the bus ride from the station to the actual lake! (I wasn't exactly timing it, but I'd wager the bus ride was somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes.) So you can see why I had some hesitation.

Despite the scorching heat, I decided to make a day of it and head to the lake. I actually had a lot more fun than I expected, and I spent more time exploring the lake and the dam than I did 10 years ago. With all that said, let's check out the highlights. Enjoy!


















No comments:

Post a Comment