Monday, May 15, 2023

Ultraman Great Flies into Tokyo!

Dore Kraus poses with Ultraman at a Mandarake shop at the Nakano Broadway shopping mall. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Actor Dore Kraus, who played Ultraman Great's alter ego, Jack Shindo, in Ultraman: Towards the Future (1992), came to Tokyo in April of this year, and I had the distinct privilege of spending time with him during his vacation on two separate days. Dore contacted me a few days before arriving, and, when I knew he would be coming to my neck of the woods, I made sure to set aside plenty of time.

We first got together on Saturday, April 22, in Nakano after I finished work. Then we met up again on Sunday, April 30, in Ebisu (before moving on to Ultraman Street and Toho Studios) and spent most of the day together. There's a lot to see, so let's get right to the photos!

Dore Kraus poses under a sign listing Ultraman Great at Nakano Broadway. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Dore Kraus finds an Ultraman Great figure at a toy shop in Nakano Broadway. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After dinner at Gusto in Nakano. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Dore Kraus poses with Ultraman at Soshigaya-Okura Station. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Ultraman watches over Soshigaya-Okura Station. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Dore Kraus poses with Ultraman. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Say, that guy flying over us looks a bit familiar... Photo by Brett Homenick.

Dore Kraus (can you spot him?) at Toho Studios. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

It's Godzilla vs. Jack Shindo! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Jack Shindo would have made a great addition to the Seven Samurai. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Photo by Brett Homenick.

Capping off a fun day at the Hotel Excellent Ebisu.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Brett, I don’t Mean to go off topic, but I am worried you might not reply at earlier posts. Anyway, I have a question. Are you aware of the two lost Japanese King Kong films, Japanese King Kong 1933 and King Kong appears in edo 1938? If so, do you think about doing a blog post on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm aware of them. I don't think I will because I have nothing to add beyond what's already on the Internet.

      Delete
    2. I have a similar question. Have you heard of the lost Japanese 1934 film, the great Buddha arrival?

      Delete
    3. Sure have, but, once again, I have no insight into it that you can't read on dozens of other websites. No more off-topic discussions, please -- thanks!

      Delete