Sunday, May 7, 2023

'Punch-Drunk Love' in Ikebukuro!

Punch-Drunk Love at the Shin Bungeiza. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I just returned from a screening of Punch-Drunk Love (2002) at Ikebukuro's Shin Bungeiza theater. It was a digital projection that looked absolutely perfect on the Shin Bungeiza's massive screen.

The movie was written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and stars Adam Sandler. It's generally considered Sandler's first good movie, with which I would heartily agree. (Not that I've seen that many other Adam Sandler movies -- let's just say that his brand of humor isn't my cup of tea.)

I first saw Punch-Drunk Love circa 2008, and I enjoyed it much more than I expected I would. I've seen it a few times since then, including just a couple of years ago on DVD. It's not great, but it's quite good, and I'm glad I saw it again.

Interestingly, a few theater-goers applauded the movie after it ended. That's a pretty rare occurrence in Japan. The last time I experienced that was after last year's Top Gun: Maverick

The theater is also showing Boogie Nights (1997) and Francis Ford Coppola's latest edit of Apocalypse Now (1979), but due to bad timing I can't catch those screenings. Oh, well. At least I was able to catch this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment