Thursday, April 20, 2023

An Ultra-Good Photography Exhibit in Yotsuya!

Signage for "Bath Time" at the Portrait Gallery of the Nippon Photography Center. Photo by Brett Homenick.

This afternoon (Thursday, April 20), I stopped by a photo exhibition dedicated to the work of photographer Akiko Fukushima in Yotsuya, Tokyo, which runs from today until April 26 in the Portrait Gallery of the Nippon Photography Center. Fukushima-san had been married to actor Masanari Nihei (Ide/Ito from the 1966-67 Ultraman TV series) until his passing in 2021. 

Masanari Nihei enjoys "Bath Time." Photo by Brett Homenick.

Even though I hadn't been there in years, I remember passing by this gallery a long time ago and seeing some eye-catching photos of Showa-era actors on display. When I saw the news about the photo exhibition, I figured it had to be the same place and was able to find it easily. Thankfully, my instincts were correct!


On hand at the exhibition were Fukushima-san herself, as well as her daughter, Kazuka. I had a lot of fun chatting with Kazuka about her father and (naturally) about herself, too. I wasn't sure if anyone related to Nihei-san was even going to be there, so it was certainly an added bonus for me.

With Akiko Fukushima.

I should explain that the photo exhibition consisted of a series of photos called "Bath Time," and (as the name would suggest) it features various Japanese celebrities bathing. This, of course, includes Nihei-san himself. According to a sign at the exhibition, it started in 1984, and Fukushima-san explained to me that the whole project lasted about a year. "Bath Time" was serialized in a weekly magazine called Emma.

Other Japanese celebs who participated in "Bath Time" include Tatsuya Nakadai, Sandayu Dokumamushi, Jiro Dan, Ichiro Mizuki (with sheet music in the shower!), and Hiroshi Miyauchi. Miyauchi-san's picture was the last to be put up. In fact, when I entered the gallery, a staff member was hammering in the hooks for his picture to hang on the wall!

Akiko Fukushima poses with the photo she took of her husband. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Akiko Fukushima is a photographer and haiku poet. She was born in Tokyo in 1943 and graduated from Nihon University College of Art's Photography Department in 1965. "Bath Time" remains one of her most famous works.

Mother and daughter. Photo by Brett Homenick.

One interesting tidbit that Fukushima-san told me was that the photo of Nakadai-san was taken while he was making Akira Kurosawa's Ran (1985), and you could even see a horse in the shot! Pretty fun stuff.

Takeshi Yoshioka. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After I left, in a total coincidence, I ran into Ultraman Gaia (1998-99) star Takeshi Yoshioka! I immediately saw him as I stepped out of the building. I told him about the exhibition, but he actually wasn't aware of it. He took a photo of the signage on his phone, and then I snapped a photo on mine.

Naturally, there had to be a selfie with him, too! He said he'd check it out later, which sounded Ultra-good to me. What a fun afternoon! I didn't expect it to be as fun as it was, so it was a pleasant surprise. It was most definitely an Ultra-good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment