Monday, January 23, 2023

Catching Daiei's 'The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly' (1957) at the Theater in Glorious 16mm!

The Laputa Asagaya. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The Science Fiction Film Festival at the Laputa Asagaya marches on, and tonight (Monday, January 23) I took in a screening of the Daiei shocker The Invisible Man vs. the Human Fly (1957). I'd seen it once before, which was in the summer of 2010. It came highly recommended from this guy who had written some book, and, because I assumed he knew what he was talking about, I gave it a look-see. But I found it way too talky and, ultimately, underwhelming, so I had no idea what that dude was talking about. (Then again, I'm not so sure even he knows.)

Unlike the other screenings, this was actually a 16mm print, not 35mm. The print itself had likely seen better days. While there weren't that many jumps, there were scratches and splotches aplenty, almost looking as if the characters were suddenly caught in a blizzard of black snow.

Due to my lack of enthusiasm for the film the first time I saw it, I actually considered skipping this screening. But the rarity of the situation eventually won me over, so I decided to give it a second chance. So how did I feel this time?

Mostly the same, to be honest, though I will freely admit that I enjoyed it more this time. I was able to appreciate a number of the SFX scenes more this time around, likely because I could see them better on the big screen. Most of the effects scenes involve miniaturized bad guys who buzz around the air like insects or climb around on unsuspecting cabaret performers, so it certainly doesn't do these sequences justice to see them on DVD at home. And those scenes were fun, as was the surprise involving the Invisible Woman during the climax. 

But I still find the flick way too talky. The actors generally do a good job, but they are mostly unmemorable. Even the scenery-chewing Human Flies aren't that interesting as villains, which is especially true of the first Human Fly, who mostly comes across as an off-the-rack cackling madman you can find in a slew of low-budget horrors from this side of the Pacific. Not bad, but really nothing special.

From where I sit, Toho's The Invisible Man (1954) is the superior film, and it has the added benefit of featuring an interesting character in the titular role. The Invisible People in this one are quite unremarkable, I'm afraid. 

I hope I eventually get my hands on the Blu-ray, and -- who knows -- maybe then I'll come around to digging the film. I guess we'll see. While my opinion of the movie has improved, and I'll happily give it the credit it's due, I can't give it a full-throated recommendation. It's fair, but I can't quite call it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment