Wednesday, January 25, 2023

A Kazuki Omori Double Feature in Ikebukuro!

A great double feature in Ikebukuro! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Today, I attended a screening of Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991) at the Shin Bungeiza theater in Ikebukuro. The screenings were part of the theater's tribute to the late writer-director Kazuki Omori, who passed away last year.

Both screenings were of 35mm prints, which looked wonderful. There were a couple of jumps and the usual scratches and splotches I've come to expect from such film prints, but overall they were in very good condition. Despite those blemishes, it sure beats watching a homemade DVD of Biollante that freezes halfway through the screening! (Yes, such a thing did happen once at some event in the U.S., as embarrassing as it was to the organizers.) But there was none of that kind of amateurishness at this event, thankfully. 

 

This was not my first time to see either film in 35mm, but I try not to pass up such opportunities when they come up. Besides, it was a great way to remember Kazuki Omori, who was always extremely friendly the many times I've met him over the years.

The stars of Biollante and King Ghidorah keep watch over the theater's soda machine. Photo by Brett Homenick.

All in all, it was a great afternoon of movies. I remember mentioning in a blog post last December that there would be a lot of film screenings this month, but I had no idea there would be so many! I've been kept way busier this month than I expected, which is not a bad thing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment