Sunday, October 17, 2021

Spending a Fun Evening with a Wonderful Actress!

With Yoko Takahashi.

Tonight, I attended a special event with actress Yoko Takahashi. Takahashi-san was a prolific actress in the 1970s, with her best-known work in the West being the Oscar-nominated Sandakan 8 (1974). She also can be seen in Kon Ichikawa's The Devil's Ballad (1977).

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

My favorite part of the evening was talking American movies with Takahashi-san. She talked about a number of Jack Nicholson films from the '70s and '80s (including One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Five Easy Pieces, and The Postman Always Rings Twice), to which a friend of mine at the event mentioned Nicholson's small role in Little Shop of Horrors. This prompted me to mention another Nicholson/Roger Corman collaboration, The Terror, which naturally Takahashi-san had never heard of. (She didn't recognize the name Boris Karloff, so I pointed out that he was the actor who played Frankenstein.)


We also talked about my favorite movie from the last few years, Joker, which Takahashi-san had seen but did not really enjoy. She didn't find Joaquin Phoenix particularly believable as a clown, but she talked about how surprised she was when he shot Robert De Niro's character toward the end. She seemed to enjoy Parasite more, but that was a movie I didn't enjoy at all.

Overall, it was a very fun evening, and I'm glad I had a chance to visit with Takahashi-san again. It's always a lot of fun to hang out with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment