Thursday, August 19, 2021

Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba Passes Away at 82

Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba in January 2019. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The Japanese media have reported that legendary Toei star Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba has passed away at age 82 after becoming infected with the coronavirus. According to the reports, he was infected at the end of July and was hospitalized on August 8. He ultimately passed away at 5:26 p.m. on August 19.

Sonny Chiba in action in December 2012. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I was fortunate enough to meet Chiba-san at various events in Japan, beginning in December 2012. In 2016, I saw him several times at several events he guested and got to know members of his entourage a bit well. Chiba-san was always very kind to me and remembered me whenever I attended. At one event in 2016, I sat next to Chiba-san the whole evening, and he showed me various photos of himself with Hollywood stars like Samuel L. Jackson on his smartphone.

At a special event honoring his career in April 2013, I had the good fortune of interviewing him about his career. I was only able to get a few minutes of his time, but I certainly appreciated the opportunity. The interview can be read here.


While Chiba-san is best known internationally for his roles in '70s actioners like The Street Fighter (1974), he is better known internationally for his tokusatsu roles, such as Invasion of the Neptune Men (1961), Terror Beneath the Sea (1966), and Message from Space (1978).

Rest in peace, Chiba-san. Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment