Thursday, August 12, 2021

Gamera Stomps into the Kadokawa Cinema Yurakucho!

The Gamera/Daimajin display at Kadokawa Cinema Yurakucho. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On August 11, I returned to the Kadokawa Cinema Yurakucho for a wonderful double feature of Gamera vs. Guiron (1969) followed by Gamera vs. Zigra (1971). Seeing these titles on the big screen is exceedingly rare, but the digital transfers were fantastic. I had a great time with both films.

Last night, I was able to take in a showing of Gamera vs. Barugon (1966), and its elaborate SFX were a marvel to see on the silver screen. I've never seen the film look any better.

Screenings at the Kadokawa Cinema Yurakucho will continue, but that's about it for Gamera. The remaining showings will focus on Daiei's other tokusatsu and genre pictures, including ghosts and yokai. I hope to be checking out a few more before the festival ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment