Monday, December 24, 2018

THE SAMURAI! Attending a Reunion of This Early Japanese TV Classic!

In between Koichi Ose (left) and Shunsuke Omori.

Today is Christmas Eve, and what better way to spend the day than attending a small reunion of a classic Japanese TV show?

Koichi Ose was the event's guest of honor. Ose-san starred in Moonlight Mask (1958-59) as the titular hero. He later starred in another Senkosha-produced series called The Samurai (1962-65) as the heroic Shintaro Akikusa, the samurai of the program's title. Also in attendance was Shunsuke Omori, who played the boy Shusaku Baba in The Samurai

The Samurai has quite a following in Australia where it was broadcast in the mid-1960s. Being American, however, today was the first time I'd ever seen it. Three episodes were screened, and I enjoyed the show.

I was impressed when Ose-san recognized me from the previous event. Omori-san asked me if I was Australian, but I answered that I'm an American who's a fan of Moonlight Mask. But after today, I like both shows.

1 comment:

  1. So great you got to meet them! I'm also a big fan of The Samurai and Moonlight Mask. Are you seeing any events coming up with Mr. Ose? Best, Jason (Spy Vibe blog)

    ReplyDelete