Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Meeting an Icon of the Showa Gamera Series!

Kon Omura. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tonight, I attended a gala event at the Hotel New Otani Tokyo headlined by actor Kon Omura. Omura-san remains a familiar face in Japan, but Westerners most likely only know him from his two appearances in the Showa Gamera series. He played comic-relief characters in Gamera vs. Guiron (1969) and Gamera vs. Jiger (1970). 


I was amazed at just how popular Omura-san was at the event, as he hardly seemed to get a moment's rest. He was constantly taking photos with attendees and never seemed to tire. Not bad for a gentleman who has just turned 87 years old.

I had a brief chat with Omura-san but made sure not to take up too much of his time. I'd been looking forward to meeting Omura-san ever since I got to Japan and am finally glad I had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment