Friday, September 18, 2015

G-1: Dinner with Godzilla Suit Actor Kenpachiro Satsuma!

Suit actor Kenpachiro Satsuma gave a lively talk in Kichijoji, Tokyo. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tonight I returned from the monthly Godzilla fan club meeting in Kichijoji, Tokyo, and the guest of honor was once again Heisei Godzilla suit actor Kenpachiro Satsuma. Satsuma-san started his Godzilla series suit-acting career as Hedorah and Gigan in the Showa era and later took on the role of Godzilla between Godzilla (1984) and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995).

What could be better than hanging out and having fun with Godzilla himself! 

As usual, Satsuma-san was in great spirits. He showed me a piece of paper with English written phonetically in katakana that he's used for introductions at American conventions in the past. I helped Satsuma-san read it, and while some of it was a little difficult to make out at first, we were able to figure out what it all meant. My favorite part of the introduction was his saying that Godzilla survives on nuclear fuel and that for him it is like eating a hamburger.

Say cheese! A group shot of all the enthusiastic and friendly Godzilla fans. Photo by Brett Homenick.

There will be another meeting next month, but I'm not sure yet whether I can attend. I certainly hope that I can. These get-togethers are always a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment