Monday, July 27, 2026

Seems Like Old Times!

Masanori Machida poses with an American DVD that features one of his most famous movies (I promise!). Photo by Brett Homenick.
 
On Sunday, July 26, I attended an event with Masanori Machida, a former child actor who appears in a couple of my favorite movies. It's hard to believe that it'd been well over two years since I last saw him, but it was well worth the wait.


Machida-san and other actors performed dramatic readings (or monologues) that were Obon-themed, so they usually centered around ghosts or other such supernatural entities. Machida-san's monologue was a bit comedic and surprisingly short, but naturally his was the best.


A brought an old DVD that featured Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967) on the same disc as Gamera vs. Gaos (1967), which is a reminder of how good the year 1967 was for tokusatsu. Machida-san was a little confused when he saw Gamera on the cover, but, when I explained that Gappa was also included, it all made sense. 

Visiting Machida-san again was wonderful, and I guess sometimes you can go home again if you're lucky enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment