Monday, October 21, 2024

Saving the Earth in L.A.!

Adryan Russ. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Sunday, October 20, I made my out to Los Angeles and had a great time there. The first meeting I had was with Adryan Russ, who performed the iconic "Save the Earth" song for the AIP release of Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (1971). Even though I interviewed Ms. Russ way back in 2007, this was our first visit in person.


We met at the Lonny Chapman Theatre for a performance of The Orphan's Revenge, which was pretty enjoyable. The melodramatic show encouraged audience participation in the form of booing and hissing the villains and cheering the good guys. I don't think I'll ever forget the name of "Yack" Phillips.

"Save the Earth!" Photo by Brett Homenick.

After the show, we noticed a massive fire close to our vicinity. The smoke happened to be billowing from an area directly behind Joe's Smog Check, which, given the circumstances, was quite a coincidence. It looked like Godzilla and Hedorah were duking it out behind a sign warning the world about smog! If only Yoshimitsu Banno and his camera crew were there, it would have been complete.

It was great to meet Adryan in person and to chat about not just Smog Monster but a variety of other topics. I look forward to meeting up again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment