Saturday, December 16, 2023

Kenpachiro Satsuma, the Heisei-Era Godzilla Suit Actor, Passes Away at 76

Kenpachiro Satsuma in November 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

It was announced via social media that Kenpachiro Satsuma, the actor inside the Godzilla suit from 1984 to 1995, passed away on December 16 at 10:49 a.m. due to interstitial pneumonia. He was 76.

Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Satsuma-san had been a fixture of fan conventions for decades, going back to G-CON '96, which was organized by the late John Rocco Roberto. Mr. Roberto and his associates brought Godzilla suit actors Haruo Nakajima and Ken Satsuma to America for the first time that summer in an event many others have tried to duplicate but never could. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma wearing a Pulgasari T-shirt in November 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

That event (as well as Mr. Roberto's other endeavors) were well before my time, which is something I've always regretted missing. Luckily, I was able to meet Satsuma-san several times over the years in Japan. 

With Kenpachiro Satsuma in November 2015.

I first met him in October 2012 at Super Festival, at which he was participating in a Q&A with fellow Godzilla suit actors Nakajima and Tsutomu Kitagawa about their suit-acting days.

Kenpachiro Satsuma in November 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The meeting was very brief, but I do remember saying sugoi (which is roughly the equivalent of "Wow!" or "Awesome!") about something, to which Satsuma-san quickly responded with the more masculine-sounding sugei. Gotta be as manly as possible around Godzilla. I found that quite amusing.

Tsutomu Kitagawa, Kenpachiro Satsuma, and Haruo Nakajima in October 2012. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Right before a similar event in October 2014, I happened to bump into Satsuma-san on the Chuo-Sobu Line on the way to the venue. He and I (as well as a mutual friend) ended up walking to the event together. 

Hurricane Ryu and Kenpachiro Satsuma at a memorial event for Koichi Kawakita at Toho Studios in February 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

About a month later, in November 2014, I called Satsuma-san on his cell phone and asked him if he'd like to get together with a Japanese friend of mine and me at a cafe. He agreed, and we ended up meeting in Shibuya. I remember buying Satsuma-san a pricy omiyage for his trouble. 

Tsutomu Kitagawa, Haruo Nakajima, and Kenpachiro Satsuma in October 2014. Photo by Brett Homenick.

While I couldn't have predicted it at the time, we ended up having quite a candid discussion with Satsuma-san about a variety of topics. Suffice it to say, it was all rather eye-opening. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma at the ticket gate at Nakano Station in October 2014. Photo by Brett Homenick.

That has to be my favorite time in Satsuma-san's company. We ate at a cafe that was right next to Toho Cinemas Shibuya, which I thought that would make a perfect backdrop for some photos.

With Kenpachiro Satsuma in November 2014.

I would continue to see Satsuma-san at a variety of events in 2015. He was one of the guests at a celebration at Toho Studios honoring the memory of SFX director Koichi Kawakita, who had recently passed away. That same year, Satsuma-san also appeared at a couple of events with a limited number of participants at a restaurant in Kichijoji, Tokyo. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma in July 2020. Photo by Brett Homenick.

At the first one, which was held in July, I arrived late due to my work schedule, but Satsuma-san invited me to sit next to him, which was quite an honor. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

At the second one, held in September, Satsuma-san showed me a piece of paper with English written phonetically in katakana that he used for introductions at American conventions in the past.

Kenpachiro Satsuma on the Chuo-Sobu Line in October 2014. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I helped Satsuma-san read it, and, while some of it was a little difficult to make out at first, we were able to figure out what it all meant. My favorite part of the introduction was his saying that Godzilla survives on nuclear fuel and that for him it is like eating a hamburger. Funny stuff!

Director Takao Okawara and Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

These days, I can't remember which of the two events it was, but Satsuma-san confided in me at one of them that (to the best of my recollection all these years later) he was interviewed by a reporter for his role as Godzilla in Godzilla 1985 (1984). 

Kenpachiro Satsuma and Hurricane Ryu in July 2020. Photo by Brett Homenick.

About 10 years later, he ran into the same reporter, who by this time had become some kind of high-ranking individual at the publication. Seeing as how Satsuma-san was still a suit actor at the time and hadn't "moved up" in his career, he felt a bit of pressure when he found out about that.

SFX director Teruyoshi Nakano and Kenpachiro Satsuma in November 2015. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I thought that was rather surprising, considering that the role from which he hadn't yet graduated was the same role that earned him international fame and acclaim, and I'm sure nobody outside of Japan had ever heard of the reporter in question.

Kenpachiro Satsuma in October 2014. Photo by Brett Homenick.

But it just goes to show that, as much as we may revere a person and honor his accomplishments, he may not see himself the same way when he looks in the mirror.

Tsutomu Kitagawa, Haruo Nakajima, and Kenpachiro Satsuma in October 2014. Photo by Brett Homenick.

After 2015, Satsuma-san would become a bit more scarce at gatherings in Tokyo. He turned up at one in March 2017 with Heisei-era director Takao Okawara for a screening of Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992). Another time, he shared the stage with director Kazuki Omori and actress Megumi Odaka at a Tokusatsu DNA event in December 2018. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The last time I would ever see Satsuma-san was in July 2020. It was at a screening for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993), which he attended with Hurricane Ryu. Satsuma-san was noticeably frail but still affable as always. 

In between Kenpachiro Satsuma and Hurricane Ryu in July 2020.

There, he talked about the difficulty of acting as Hedorah in Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (1971), how much he liked playing Gigan, and some of the challenges filming Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995).

With Isao Zushi, Hurricane Ryu, and Kenpachiro Satsuma in July 2020.

After the event, a group of us went to the izakaya that was owned and operated by Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) suit actor Isao Zushi. It was an incredibly rare opportunity to hang out with these two Godzilla suit actors at the same time. 

Kenpachiro Satsuma and Isao Zushi in July 2020. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Following that event, it seemed nobody could get a hold of Satsuma-san. I know I tried a few times but got no reply. Phone calls went unanswered, and text messages went unread.

Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017. Photo by Brett Homenick.

A suit actor who has done appearances at conventions with Satsuma-san in the past recently told me that he hadn't heard from Satsuma-san in a long time, either, and was very worried about him. Everyone I'd spoken to in the last couple of years about Satsuma-san had a similar response.

Tsutomu Kitagawa, Kenpachiro Satsuma, and Haruo Nakajima in October 2012. Photo by Brett Homenick

As a result, I can't say the news is shocking. It's incredibly sad, but I've been expecting it for a while. Satsuma-san was a very kind gentleman, and I wish I'd gotten to know him better. In the last few years, I really wanted to interview him, which I actually kind of avoided in my early years living in Japan.

With Kenpachiro Satsuma in October 2014.

I mean, Satsuma-san had been interviewed so many times by so many different people, what could have been left to say? At least that was my reasoning back then, but, as time went on, I gradually realized just how much there was left for him to say. I wish he could have said it.

With Kenpachiro Satsuma in March 2017.

Rest in peace, Satsuma-san. Thank you very much for stomping your way into my life. Your place in film history is assured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment