Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Bob's Big Boy Conquers Japan!

Bob's Big Boy in Tokyo. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Earlier today (Tuesday, October 31), my friend Jacob and I were returning to Omori Station via bus when I spotted a rare sight in Tokyo: an honest-to-goodness Bob's Big Boy! Well, here's it just called Big Boy Restaurant, but that's splitting hairs.

At first, I thought I'd just take a few pictures and leave it at that -- perhaps returning someday to check it out. But Jacob wanted to eat there, so I decided to have an early dinner. Unlike the Bob's Big Boy restaurants back home, there were no hamburgers on the menu.

There were plenty of steaks on offer, but not your average, American-style hamburger. I thought that was worth noting.

We both ordered steaks and helped ourselves to the drink bar. We were both quite satisfied with our meal. I felt the quality of the steak was on a par with Gusto and Saizeriya, which are very similar restaurants here. 

It was certainly a pleasant surprise. To be honest, I wasn't sure that Bob's Big Boy was even still a thing in the U.S. -- let alone Japan! I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity to eat there.


I'm not sure if I would return any time soon. As fun as it was to eat there, the food was very similar to any number of diners in Tokyo. Omori Station is a bit out of the way for me, so there is the question of convenience.

Bob's Big Boy's children's menu. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Nonetheless, it was a very enjoyable meal and was very much like seeing an old friend again. It's been way too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment