Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Twins of Tokusatsu Tear It Up!

Takashi Naganuma. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Earlier tonight (Sunday, September 3), I attended another special event featuring the twins of tokusatsu: Eiichi Asada and Takashi Naganuma. 

During most of the event, I sat next to Naganuma-san, as he was sharing his usual wordplay. One example was using the English word "cola" twice to substitute for the Japanese title of The Last Dinosaur (1977). (If you know, you know.)

Later on, Naganuma-san wondered when we first met, so I showed him the photo from October 2015, which is when we first met. Oh, if only I could look so young again! 

Eiichi Asada. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The other guest of the evening was Eiichi Asada. Asada-san commented on how sweaty I was when I arrived later in the afternoon. I guess he was surprised at how hot it still was outside, despite being past 5:00 already. 

Later on, Asada-san asked how old I was, which I asked him to guess. He originally guessed my age as four years younger than I actually am, which was nice to hear. But then he guessed it four years older than my actual age, to which I jokingly pretended to get angry.


Afterward, I mentioned a relative of mine who lives in Florida, and Asada-san replied with some comments about the political goings-on in that state, which left me in stitches. I had no idea Asada-san was that familiar with American politics!

So it was yet another fun evening. I always enjoy spending time in their company, and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment