Sunday, September 10, 2023

BACK IN TOWN! A Fun Evening of Music with a Familiar Face!

Masamitsu Tayama. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Friday, September 8, I returned to Back in Town to catch another live performance by Masamitsu Tayama. I always try to attend these performances, as there are usually only one or two per year in Tokyo.

Masamitsu Tayama. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Unlike, well, most of the concerts I can remember (at least when I have to work), I was actually able to attend the whole show from start to finish. Thankfully, my work schedule wasn't so bad this time, and I was able to leave work and arrive with about a half an hour before the performance started at 7:00 p.m.


Over the years, I've gotten rather familiar with Tayama-san's repertoire, and I have come to enjoy most of his songs. He really puts his all into his singing, and he leaves it all onstage when he performs.


In a light-hearted moment toward the end of the show, while performing his signature song "Spring Is in the Air," Tayama-san seemed to lose his place. This amused both the audience and Tayama-san, who even considered performing the song again to make it up to the audience. 


Tayama-san ultimately chose to close with a different song. I asked Tayama-san if that had ever happened to him before, to which he confirmed that it hadn't. I told him that it just made it a special occurrence.


As everything was wrapping up, I helped Tayama-san pack up his guitar, and we took our obligatory photos. Even though it's been something I've done countless times, it never gets dull and always feels special.


After that, our group, including Tayama-san and his wife Yoko, walked back to Akebonobashi Station before we parted ways. We went in opposite directions, so we said our goodbyes before going to our respective train platforms.


And that's a wrap! Suffice it to say, it was another fun evening with a wonderful performer. I hope we can do it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment