Monday, June 12, 2023

Honoring the Life and Career of Screenwriter Yukiko Takayama

Yukiko Takayama's funeral at Koyasan Tokyo Betsuin. Photo by Brett Homenick.

This morning (Monday, June 12), I attended the funeral for screenwriter Yukiko Takayama, who penned the classic Toho tokusatsu production Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975). The funeral started at 11:00 a.m. at the Buddhist temple Koyasan Tokyo Betsuin in Minato Ward. The service lasted about an hour. 


When I arrived, I signed in at the reception area and then made my way over to the hall where the funeral would take place. Outside the room were numerous posters, books, photos, and home video releases of Ms. Takayama's works. (Photos of which you can see below.)


The Intermezzo from Pietro Mascagni's opera Cavalleria Rusticana (which was used as the theme to Martin Scorsese's 1980 film Raging Bull) was playing on speakers there, as well.


During the ceremony, the priest-in-residence said that Ms. Takayama passed away at age 83, which confirms the information in the recent news reports about her passing.


As expected, I was more than a little rusty on Japanese funeral customs, so I watched what the other mourners would do and emulated them to the best of my ability. This came in handy particularly during the incense-offering part of the ceremony, which went off without a hitch after I observed what the other mourners were doing. 


The toughest part of the funeral for me was laying flowers in the casket. The staff at the temple encouraged mourners to lay flowers multiple times until all the flowers were put in the casket, and I did so three different times. It was a very moving experience, and one I won't ever forget. 


Afterward, the casket was taken to the hearse, and Ms. Takayama's family left, too. I have to admit that this was the most emotional funeral or memorial celebration I've attended in Japan. 


For the record, and for whatever it's worth, I didn't see anyone associated with Terror of Mechagodzilla (or tokusatsu, for that matter) at the ceremony. I wasn't expecting anyone like that to show up, anyway, but I'm sure some people would be wondering about that, which is why I'm mentioning it here.


Terror of Mechagodzilla has always been one of my favorite Godzilla movies, and I wanted to make sure to honor the life and career of the person who wrote it. There was never a doubt in my mind about whether I should attend Yukiko Takayama's funeral. 


Rest in peace, Takayama-san.

No comments:

Post a Comment