Tuesday, December 20, 2022

GO, RODIE BABY, GO! Attending a Screening of 'Rodan' at Toho Cinemas!

Signage for Rodan just outside the theater screening room. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tuesday, December 20, proved to be a rather unusual morning. Just before 9:00 a.m., I arrived at Toho Cinemas Nihinbashi to take in a 4K screening of the kaiju classic Rodan (1956), remastered from the original camera negative. 

I'm not so sure a movie from 1956 counts as "new." Photo by Brett Homenick.

The quality, of course, was top-notch. Rodan has truly never looked better, and I could spot a lot of details that I never could before. I had a lot of fun trying to read the signs and billboards during Rodan's attack, but the scene would usually cut away before I could finish reading them. Yumi Shirakawa was absolutely radiant (when is she not?), I never noticed that Haruo Nakajima was in that much of the movie as an extra, and the ending still packs one heck of a punch. I was moved all over again.

After the showing, I sat in one of the comfy leather chairs that were available to patrons (never seen these before at a Toho Cinemas) and had a blast messing around on Facebook with my buddies. It sure made the mad dash to the movie theater battling the morning rush hour worth it. I'm still kicking myself for not checking out the remastered Mothra (1961) screenings last year, but I'm glad I didn't repeat that mistake with Rodan

Can't wait for this one to come out on Blu-ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment