Saturday, November 19, 2022

Of Mermaids. Time Slips, and Godzilla!

Jun Eto. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday evening, November 19, I attended a special event centered around the ATG production Mermaid Legend (1984). The movie looks quite intriguing, but, due to my work schedule, I had to miss it. But I got to spend the evening with the guests, which pretty cool itself! On hand were actor Jun Eto and screenwriter Takuya Nishioka.

Eto-san appears in G.I. Samurai (a.k.a. Time Slip, 1979) as Nobuhiko Ken and Godzilla against Mechagodzilla (2002) as a special executive. On TV, he can be seen in episode 23 of Ultraman Cosmos (2001-02). He also plays Keisuke Saeki in Mermaid Legend.

I met Eto-san once in 2019, and he was just as friendly as I remember him. He was surprised when I mentioned Mechagodzilla as one of his credits, but he pointed out that it was just a small role. But, coolest of all, when Eto-san was leaving, he fist-bumped me. It's always fun to get one from a Japanese actor!

Takuya Nishioka. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Takuya Nishioka, who wrote Mermaid Legend, was also on hand. I didn't have a chance to interact with him the way I did with Eto-san, and admittedly I'm very unfamiliar with most of his work, but hopefully that can be remedied in the future.


And that's a wrap! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment