Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Paying a Visit to Tora-san!

 The Tora-san statue outside Shibamata Station. Photo by Brett Homenick.

For the first time since 2013, I went to Shibamata Station to check out the various Tora-san sights in the area. Of course, I'd already seen the Tora-san statue during my previous visit. 

Tora-san and his sister, Sakura, outside Shibamata Station. Photo by Brett Homenick. 

But I hadn't seen the statue of Tora-san's sister, Sakura, who was played in the long-running film series by actress Chieko Baisho. There's a good reason for that. The bronze Sakura statue was dedicated in 2017.

The statue of Sakura (actress Chieko Baisho). Photo by Brett Homenick.

Of interest to Godzilla fans is that Chieko Baisho is married to composer Reijiro Koroku, who wrote the score to Godzilla 1985 (1984). Not that many Godzilla series composers have bronze statues of their wives in Tokyo.


After checking out the statues, I made my way over to the Tora-san Museum as well as the Yoji Yamada Museum. Yoji Yamada is the director most closely associated with the Tora-san series, although he has directed numerous films outside the series, such as The Yellow Handkerchief (1977) and The Twilight Samurai (2002).


Overall, it was a fun day in the company of Tora-san, and I should start paying more attention to the Tora-san movies. I've enjoyed the ones I've seen, so why not? Let's give 'em another spin!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Brett,

    I hope you are having a good day. I really like your website. I was wondering on a couple of things. I hope I am not annoying you. Are you ever going to meet Reijiro Koroku, composer of return of Godzilla, as well actress yasuko sawaguchi? Second, I am very glad you got to meet megumi odaka a few times. Since not much of her current life is not today, did she share any anicodates or is she married and has any sons of her own. Please reply. Have a good 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to meet them, but it would probably be a bit difficult (especially with Ms. Sawaguchi). Regarding Ms. Odaka, she is married, but the her personal life is not my business to share, so I'll leave it at that. Thank you very much.

      Delete
    2. Your very much welcome. Speaking of actresses, I have maybe a few more suggestions. Maybe chihiro niiyama, who starred in GMK, and yumiko shaku? On the subject of composers, how was your meeting with miichiro Oshima? Enjoy life.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention, ms. Sawaguchi is very beautiful, isn’t she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
    2. Sorry two more things. Could you upload a picture of shigeo Tanaka? I looked everywhere for a picture of him, but no such luck. Second, I know you attended a masaru sato concert, but I have always wondered what did he did of?

      Delete