Sunday, June 2, 2019

BACK TO 1966! Bin Furuya and Masao Nakabori Reflect on Ultraman!

Suit actor Bin Furuya and cameraman Masao Nakabori reminisce about the original Ultraman (1966). Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday, June 1, I headed my way to a special event with original Ultraman suit actor Bin Furuya and cameraman Masao Nakabori, the theme of which was the original Ultraman series (1966-67). Despite being exhausted from my trip to Osaka (and the fact that I'd just finished work), I wasted no time in taking part in the event.


The event centered mostly around the two guests talking about the making of the original Ultraman. Many of the stories had the attendees in laughter. Of course, the life of a suit actor is anything but easy!


I can't remember the last time I'd seen Furuya-san, but suffice it to say it'd been too long. Naturally, he was constantly swarmed by his fans, making it a bit difficult to get a word in edgewise. Still, I was happy with the chance to see him again.



Nakabori-san is a cameraman whose credits include Ultra Seven (1967-68) and Ultraman Taro (1973-74). His other tokusatsu works are such programs as Silver Kamen (1971-72), Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis (1988), Ultra Q: The Movie (1990), and the decidedly non-toku Maborosi (1995). Luckily, I was able to spend more time with Nakabori-san, as he was much less swamped with admirers. I just hope next time I won't be running on fumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment