Monday, November 5, 2012

LIVING ON TOKYO TIME: Friendly Faces in Japan's Metropolis

My buddy Derrick (Godzilla vs. Biollante, Lady Battle Cop) Holmes in Kabukicho! 

While attending the Godzilla birthday event in Ginza took the majority of my recent trip to Tokyo, I did manage to spend some relaxing time with my friends in the area.


While walking around Asakusa, I got a call from my friend Derrick who was hanging out near the Shinjuku area. I quickly changed my plans and met him for a nice chat and a tour of the area.


We ended up in a Starbucks in Shinjuku Station (I needed a break after carrying all my luggage!). All in all, it was a great time with a good friend. We ought to get together more often!

When worlds collide! Biollante's Derrick Holmes meets Godzilla vs. Destroyah's Jon Gallock!

I was then scheduled to meet another friend, Jon Gallock. Derrick saw me off shortly after meeting Jon himself. I made sure to snap a photo to preserve the moment for posterity!


Jon and I headed over to Krispy Kreme for some donuts and, surprisingly enough, a discussion about politics and the current state of the world. I usually don't get to talk politics with friends in Japan, so this was an intriguing change of pace.


My meeting with Jon was relatively brief, about 40 minutes. I had another (!) appointment to keep, as did Jon. We said our goodbyes, but hopefully we'll see each other again soon enough.


The day ended with my meeting director Yoshimitsu Banno for coffee and a great discussion of Toho history. Mr. Banno is one of my favorite folks with whom to speak in Japan, and I'm relieved he speaks great English! I was fascinated by hearing stories of Akira Kurosawa, Toshio Masuda, and Kihachi Okamoto by someone who was there. Amazing!

My next blog posts will focus more on the event in Ginza. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. thank-you for posting the video of Derrick. It was nice to see his smile again.

    ReplyDelete