Friday, April 9, 2010

G-FAN #91

Rudy Gardea's impressive artwork adorns the latest issue of G-FAN.

G-FAN #91 has been printed and mailed to you (yes, YOU! That is, if you're a subscriber).

-- Daisuke Ishizuka presents a bevy of reports on several fan events that have taken place in Japan, featuring the likes of Hiroshi Koizumi, Teruyoshi Nakano, Masaaki Tezuka, Kazuki Omori, Koichi Kawakita, Hiroko Sakurai, and many others. What have all these legends been up to recently? Read Daisuke's fine reports to find out!

-- totorom interviews Yukiko Takayama, the screenwriter of Terror of Mechagodzilla. If you thought last issue's TOMG tribute covered everything possible about the film, think again! G-FAN's ace reporter totorom strikes again with his feature-length interview with Ms. Takayama.

-- Allen A. Debus interviews Sam Enthoven, author of The Book of Tim.

-- Lyle Huckins reviews Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus.

-- Evan Brehany contributes a detailed retrospective of Gamera 3. This celebrated film arguably has no greater champion in the United States than Evan.

-- J.D. Lees, Tyler Sowles, Frank Parr, Matt Frank, and Jared Foust present Godzilla's Friends & Foes.

-- Mike Bogue reviews Kronus.

-- Brett Homenick's full-length interview with Japanese Fantasy Film Journal editor Greg Shoemaker comes next. An excerpt was published on this blog back in January, but the whole shebang can be found in the new G-FAN.

-- Brett Homenick interviews Allyson Adams, Nick Adams' daughter. Ms. Adams shares her memories of her very famous father.

-- Allen A. Debus contributes an article on the novel Gojiro.

-- Kevin Horn reviews DeAgostini Toho SFX DVDs.

-- Mark Matzke covers a "mini G-FEST" held in Ohio, as well as Wounderland Records' Godzilla: King of the Monsters LP.

-- Mike Bogue reports on Reptilicus.

-- Steve Agin's toy report concludes the issue.

And more! Don't forget to order your copy at G-FAN.com today!

10 comments:

  1. Damn. I like how you put it Brett, "This celebrated film arguably has no greater champion in the United States than Evan." Kind of like the kind way of saying I am the ultimate fanboy, hehe. Just as a little production note, this was one of the harder pieces to write, especialy since I never was truly happy reguarding how I tried to (in the script analysis) explain that in the film there are parts which can let us conclude that either the two main kaiju are gods or that our gods are just based on images from our past.

    I am very happy it got published. I just hope all of it got published. If I printed it out w/o thinking about photos and stuff, it's 12 pages long.

    Thanks for the news Brett. Now atleast with this I can pursuede my mother to get G-FAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    I thought you'd like that! The article is quite long, so I'd imagine everything you wrote more or less made it in. It looks great, though I haven't yet read the entire piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, Brett--Andy found out about "his" article being in issue 91 on the day of his birthday party! Yet another case of Godzilla synchronicity...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Happy birthday to Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, another excellent issue of G-FAN from cover to cover. I was very happy and honored to see my review of the DeAgostini dvds in this issue. I enjoyed the entire issue,but my personal favorite was your interview Brett with Allyson Adams. An exceptional and well done look back at a father from his daughter's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kevin. Allyson was great to talk to, and she supplied those two photos of Nick Adams in Japan. I also enjoyed your review of the DeAgostini DVDs. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words Brett. Looking forward to producing some more Godzilla art here this year. Enjoyed reading through your blog.
    Rudy Gardea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Rudy! Love your cover on the new G-FAN. It's great! I can't wait to see what your next cover will be like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brett, can we expect a review of this issue from you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm too close to the subject matter to review it. But I think Mark Matzke summed up my thoughts on the issue very well.

    ReplyDelete