Destroy All Planets 2010

Destroy All Planets 2010
Now available through amazon.com!

Saturday, February 20, 2016

DINNER WITH ULTRAMAN! Bin Furuya Holds Court in Kichijoji!

Ultraman suit actor Bin Furuya signs an Ultraman mask for a lucky fan in Kichijoji. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Friday, February 19, I hightailed it to Kichijoji, Tokyo, after work to attend a dinner with Ultraman suit actor Bin Furuya. Several fans were in attendance, and a great time was had by all. When I arrived, I was invited to sit next to Furuya-san, so he and I got to chat quite a bit throughout the evening.

Only the Controller of Planet X could come up with a signature like this! Photo by Brett Homenick.

One fan brought several Toho pamphlets from the '60s, and there was a montage of many familiar Toho stars with their autographs. Yoshio Tsuchiya's signature was so interesting that I had to photograph it. Take a look for yourself!


As always, Furuya-san was extremely outgoing and fan-friendly, going out of his way to make sure I was eating enough food. (I ate enough and then some!) I particularly enjoyed throwing out the names of Toho/Tsuburaya actors and getting his memories of them. Furuya-san has worked with so many legends!


This is what fandom is all about, and I can think of no better place to celebrate it than Japan. Many thanks to Furuya-san and my fellow tokusatsu fans for making Friday night one for the history books!

No comments:

Post a Comment