Tuesday, March 7, 2023

FLASHBACK: The 'Godzilla: Final Wars' World Premiere in Photos!

If you look closely, you can see Godzilla in there somewhere. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I don't think I've ever shared my photos from the Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) world premiere that took place in November 2004 in Hollywood at what was then known as Grauman's Chinese Theatre. It's not a surprise why I haven't shared them, though. I started this blog in 2009, a full five years after the premiere -- old news. Besides, I used a disposable camera for my photos, which wouldn't have turned out all that great even if I had unlimited access to the event. So, suffice it to say, the pictures I took didn't turn out that well, and I've never been in a hurry to share them.

In fact, the only one I know I've posted before was the photo I took of Don Frye when he happened to be stopped in front of me by a fan who wanted a picture with him. After he was done, I was going to ask The Predator for a pic, too. But whoever was using the guy's camera had zero idea how to work it, so Don had to wait what seemed like forever, frozen in a pose with his fist up. When the guy still couldn't get the camera to work, Don's handler whisked him away, and I lost my opportunity for a photo with Captain Gordon himself. Ah, well. Little did I know then that I'd end up interviewing him twice and arranging his appearance at some Chicago con in 2008. 

Anyway, I recently had another look at the pictures I took at the event, and I guess some of them aren't quite that bad. Besides, they are a part of history, so they are worth posting for that reason alone. The ones worth sharing are below, with a caption to explain what you can see in the pics if you look carefully enough. Enjoy!

Producer Shogo Tomiyama addresses the audience with Godzilla standing behind him. Photo by Brett Homenick.

You can kind of see Shogo Tomiyama in there between the head and the hat in the foreground. Photo by Brett Homenick.

A happy fan poses with the Godzilla float. Photo by Brett Homenick.

The recently unveiled Godzilla star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame -- and almost completely in frame! Photo by Brett Homenick.

Yours truly with Godzilla's star. I really didn't want to touch the ground but had no choice to keep my balance.

Don Frye being asked to pose for a photo that would never get taken. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Japanese media on hand covering the event. Photo by Brett Homenick.

No comments:

Post a Comment