Saturday, June 11, 2022

A Great Evening of Toho Tokusatsu!

Takashi Naganuma. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Tonight, I went to yet another special event featuring Toho tokusatsu luminaries. If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you should know who I'm talking about: Takashi Naganuma and Eiichi Asada.

I found out something interesting tonight. Naganuma-san was an extra in Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) in a Ginza scene, running away from Mothra, who was in flight. The scene was shot with a blue backdrop at Toho Studios. All the extras in that scene had to wear a suit, necktie, and black shoes because they were supposed to be playing salarymen. I really have to check out that scene.

Eiichi Asada. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Also on hand was former Toho special effects director Eiichi Asada. As I spent most of the evening with Naganuma-san, I didn't have the same kind of opportunity to pick Asada-san's brain. But he was great to hang out with, as always.


And that's a wrap! Suffice it to say, I had a blast, and I'll get to do it all over again in the coming weeks. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment