Thursday, April 7, 2022

Experiencing the Musical Side of Takahashi-san!

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Tuesday evening, April 5, I attended a musical performance by actress Yoko Takahashi. Takahashi-san was a prolific actress in the 1970s, with her best-known work in the West being the Oscar-nominated Sandakan 8 (1974). She also can be seen in Kon Ichikawa's The Devil's Ballad (1977).

Rie Yokoyama (left) onstage with Yoko Takahashi.

The event was held in Daikanyama, Tokyo. Takahashi-san sang and played the guitar with a couple of other back-up musicians. Admittedly, I wasn't familiar with most of the songs she played, but there were a couple of familiar pieces.

Rie Yokoyama. Photo by Brett Homenick.

There was an intermission of sorts, during which fellow actress Rie Yokoyama went onstage and discussed her acting career with Takahashi-san. Afterward, Takahashi-san continued playing music.

Yoko Takahashi. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Of particular note, Takahashi-san sang the (Japanese) theme to Popeye, which I thought was quite entertaining. I mentioned that to her after the show as my favorite song that she performed.


 All in all, it was a fun evening, and I got to see a different side of Takahashi-san. If there is another such performance in the near future, I hope I have a chance to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment